Update to future
terrorist Bombing(s) in NYC area
Americans, Jews Targets in N.Y.
(July 31, 1997)
- Police seized five bombs and arrested three men of Middle
Eastern origin in a raid that apparently foiled an
international plot to target Americans and Jews and bomb
the New York subway, officials said.
- In a joint statement the FBI and New York City Police
Department said late Thursday night that evidence
gathered so far indicated that two of the individuals
intended to target ''U.S. and Jewish interests
- The charges included conspiracy to damage and destroy
buildings and vehicles with explosives. In a brief
hearing, the men were assigned public defenders who
requested that the suspects not be interrogated.
- New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani said that a plot to bomb
subways was one of the possibilities being investigated
by the Joint Terrorist Task Force of local, state and
2nd, 1997 update:
- The men suspected of plotting to bomb New York City's subways
planned the explosions for the Friday evening rush hour
to attain maximum casualties in America's biggest city, a
report said Saturday.
- The report, which appeared in the New York Post, was not
confirmed by officials, who said a police raid Thursday
that led to the arrests of three men averted the attack
by hours. The men have been linked to a radical
- ``I think we were close to a
disaster here, but it didn't happen. And that's the good
news,'' said James Kallstrom, the head of the
FBI in New York, said Friday. ``Whether it was 12 hours
or 18 hours, 24 or 36 is irrelevant.''
Now Read my Original Remote
Return to Press Release Main Page